Recipe & Photo from cookieandkate.com
Green Bean Salad with Toasted Almonds & Feta
This green bean salad is a favorite side dish of our dietitian Carrie Esper. Fresh green beans are steamed and tossed with a lemony dressing, toasted almonds and feta cheese. This dish a delicious, healthy alternative to the heavy green bean casseroles that you often find on many dinner tables especially in the colder months.
This recipe was adapted from Carrie’s favorite cooking blog: cookieandkate.com
Recipe yields 4 side servings and can easily be scaled for a crowd.
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 to 3” long pieces
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small-to-medium clove garlic
- Several twists of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- Lemon zest from about ½ lemon, for garnish
- Start with a large skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring frequently (careful, they burn quickly). After 3 minutes, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue stirring until they are fragrant and turning golden on the edges, about 1 to 3 more minutes. Transfer the almonds to a bowl to cool.
- Make sure the heat is set to medium-low and place the skillet back on the heat. Immediately add the green beans, water and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are nearly tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the lid, raise heat to medium-high, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, black pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Once the green beans are done cooking, whisk the olive oil mixture once more, then pour it into the skillet. Pour the almonds back into the skillet, and add about half of the feta, reserving the other half for garnish. Toss to combine, then taste and add more lemon juice or black pepper if necessary.
- Transfer the green beans to a serving bowl or platter. Sprinkle the remaining feta. Lightly grate some lemon zest on top, and serve promptly.